Capsicum Culinary Studio – South Africa’s largest chef school – has tasked its chef lecturers at its six campuses around the country to come up with delicious dishes for the whole family to enjoy.
Chef Anita Faku from the school’s Pretoria campus shares her cheesy and creamy mac ‘n’ cheese recipe. The secret, she says, is the addition of sour cream which gives it a delicious tang.
Easy to make Mac ‘n’ cheese (serves 4)
- 500g macaroni
- 500ml mozzarella cheese (keep a handful aside for the topping)
- 500ml cheddar cheese (keep a handful aside for the topping)
- 125ml sour cream
- 113g butter
- 125ml flour
- 1-litre milk
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add salt and a dash of cooking oil. Add your macaroni and allow to cook until al dente.
- In a separate pot start melting your butter and slowly add flour once butter is melted. Whisk the butter and flour mixture into a paste and slowly add milk. Keep whisking until the mixture starts to thicken, do not allow lumps to form. Season with salt and pepper and add the cheeses to the white sauce (keeping some aside for the topping). Once melted, take off the heat.
- Combine your cooked macaroni with your cheese sauce, add the sour cream to give it a tangy taste. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and top with off with a generous serving of cheddar cheese and mozzarella.
- Bake for 10 mins at 180°C or until the cheese has melted on top.